On Thursday, the NFL season kicks off after a long offseason. The defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos open up against the Carolina Panthers. Since the begin of the season is so close, I decided to make a list of predictions for this season. 16 predictions for the 2016 NFL season!
1. Ezekiel Elliott wins Offensive Rookie of the Year. This is a conservative pick, but it is very believable. Elliott will be running wild behind this Dallas offensive line.
2. The Oakland Raiders reach the NFL playoffs. Oakland wins 9 games in 2016, enough to win the AFC West. Derek Carr throws for 30+ touchdowns.
3. The Jaguars improve, but won’t reach the playoffs. This team is getting a lot of hype for many players never seeing the field. The Jaguars are a .500 team at best in 2016.
4. Leonard Floyd wins Defensive Rookie of the Year. Leonard Floyd can do a lot of work in the Bears 3-4 scheme as an outside rusher. He is an anonymous winner as he gets 10.5 sacks in 2016.
5. Odell Beckham Jr. scores 20 touchdowns this season. The Giants add Sterling Shepard and Victor Cruz to the receiving corp to take some pressure off OBJ.
6. Denver doesn’t reach a .500 record. Trevor Siemian is at QB and the defense lost enough players for this team to take a major step backwards.
7. Andrew Luck throws for 5000 yards. Luck is due for a breakout year. His receivers step up big this season.
8. The 49ers finish with the worst record in the NFL. This team is a mess with Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick
9. Todd Gurley leads the NFL in rushing yards. He had 1,100 yards in just 13 games last season.
10. Joey Bosa fails to record a single sack in 2016. Following his major holdout, how ready is he to play?
11. Tony Romo doesn’t return at all this season. Dak Prescott plays well and Dallas doesn’t take another risk on playing Romo. Is this Romo’s last appearance in a Cowboy uniform?
12. Khalil Mack wins the Defensive Player of the Year Award. Khalil Mack is a beast. He leads in NFL in sacks (19) in 2016. He is a versatile player that continues to improve.
13. Russell Wilson wins the NFL MVP Award. Russell Wilson is an elite NFL quarterback. In 2016, he throws for 35 touchdowns to just 5 interceptions.
14. Aaron Rodgers leads the Packers to Super Bowl 51. Green Bay beats Seattle at home in the NFC Championship.
15. Tom Brady leads the Patriots to another Super Bowl appearance. The Patriots defeat the Colts in the AFC Championship game. Can Brady win another ring and add to his already impressive resume?
16. The New England Patriots win Super Bowl 51. The Patriots defeat the Packers 23-21 in the Super Bowl. Tom Brady wins MVP and retires following the season.