Feb. 16: Teams can designate franchise or transition players
Possible Tag Canidates
- Von Miller
- Brock Osweiler
- Justin Tucker
- Cordy Glenn
- Josh Norman
- Alshon Jeffery
- Eric Berry
- Mohammed Wilkerson
- Kirk Cousins
Feb. 23-29: NFL scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
March 1: Deadline to designate franchise or transition players is 4 p.m. Franchise tags are one-year fully guaranteed contracts for players set to become free agents.
March 7-9: Teams can begin to contact and enter into contract negotiations with agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents March 9. Contracts cannot be signed until 4 p.m. March 9.
Top Free Agents (excluding tag candidates)
- QB: Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzpatrick
- RB: Doug Martin, Lamar Mille, Matt Forte
- WR: Marvin Jones, Travis Benjamin, Rueben Randle
- TE: Ladarius Green, Coby Fleener, Zach Miller
- T: Ryan Shraeder, Donald Penn, Russel Okung
- G: Kelechi Osemele, Alex Boone, Jeff Allen
- C: Stefen Wisniewski, Ben Jones
- DE: Oliver Vernon, Robery Ayers, Jason Pierre-Paul
- DT: Malik Jackson, Nick Fairley, Damon Harrison
- OLB: Bruce Irvin, Tamba Hali, Aldon Smith
- LB: Brandon Marshall, Derrick Johnson, Danny Trevathan
- CB: Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Casey Heyward
- S: Eric Weddle, Mark Barron
- Specialists: Adam Vinateri, Mason Crosby, Bryan Anger
March 9: By 4 p.m., teams must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents with expiring deals and to whom they want to retain a right of first refusal or compensation.
March 9: By 4 p.m., all teams must be under the 2016 salary cap.
Teams with most cap space
- Raiders (79,000,000)
- Jaguars (75,000,000)
- 49ers (57,000,000)
Teams with least cap space
- Bills (1,000,000)
- Saints (2,000,000)
- Dolphins (2,400,000)
*cap values are rounded; found at Spotrac
March 9: Free agency begins at 4 p.m.
March 20-23: Annual league meeting in Boca Raton, Florida. Preseason schedule released.
April 4: Teams with new head coaches can begin organized team activities
Teams with new head coaches
April 18: Teams with returning head coaches can begin organized team activities.
April 28-30: 2016 NFL draft in Chicago.
April 30: After the last pick of the draft, teams can sign undrafted free agents who were eligible for the 2016 draft.
July 15: By 2 p.m., teams that designated a franchise or transition player must sign him to a multi-year contract or extension or have him play on the tag, meaning that he cannot receive a contract extension until the end of the regular season.